A National Partnership That Betters Our Communities and Helps Our Brothers Live Lives of Excellence
Delta Tau Delta established its national philanthropic partnership with JDRF in 2012. This partnership engages the Fraternity’s more 130 chapters and colonies on college campuses nationwide to work closely with local JDRF chapters to help raise funds and awareness of type 1 diabetes (T1D). Since the partnership began, Delta Tau Delta chapters have raised more than $1 million for T1D research. Additionally, Delta Tau Delta undergraduates and alumni have contributed countless hours of service through local JDRF chapter events. The partnership between Delta Tau Delta and JDRF strives to create multiple avenues for philanthropy and creativity, from volunteering at JDRF galas and forming walk teams to creating campus fundraising and awareness events to benefit T1D research.
JDRF is the leading global organization funding type 1 diabetes (T1D) research. Its mission is to accelerate life-changing breakthroughs to cure, prevent and treat T1D and its complications. To accomplish this, JDRF has invested nearly $2 billion in research funding since our inception. JDRF is an organization built on a grassroots model of people connecting in their local communities, collaborating regionally for efficiency and broader fundraising impact, and uniting on a national stage to pool resources, passion, and energy. JDRF collaborates with academic institutions, policymakers, and corporate and industry partners to develop and deliver a pipeline of innovative therapies to people living with T1D. The JDRF staff and volunteers in more than 100 locations throughout the United States and our six international affiliates are dedicated to advocacy, community engagement and our vision of a world without T1D. For more information, please visit jdrf.org or follow @JDRF on Twitter.
What is Type 1 Diabetes?
Type 1 diabetes (T1D) is an autoimmune disease in which a person’s pancreas stops producing insulin, a hormone people need to get energy from food. T1D strikes both children and adults, and its onset has nothing to do with diet or lifestyle. There is currently nothing you can do to prevent it, and there is no cure.
10 Facts about T1D:
- T1D is an autoimmune disease wherein the immune system attacks the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas
- T1D has nothing to do with diet or lifestyle
- There is nothing you can do to prevent T1D…and nothing you can do to get rid of it
- T1D strikes children and adults suddenly, and at any age
- People with T1D must inject or infuse insulin to survive but insulin is not a cure
- Complications of T1D include kidney failure, blindness, nerve damage, heart attack and stroke
- 1.25M Americans are living with T1D and 40,000 are diagnosed each year
- By 2050, it is estimated that 5M people in the US will have T1D
- T1D-associated healthcare costs total $14B each year
- T1D is associated with an estimated loss of life-expectancy of up to 13 years
Ways to Support JDRF
Join Delta Tau Delta's National Walk Team
- Reach out to your local chapter (visit jdrf.org to find a chapter near you) to find out about volunteer opportunities. Whether one brother wants to come into the JDRF office, 10 brothers was to help out with a JDRF Gala or the entire Chapter wants to help the JDRF One Walk run smoothly, JDRF has an opportunity for you.
There are many ways to raise funds for life-changing T1D research. These include:
- JDRF One Walk Team: The One Walk is JDRF’s flagship fundraising event and the largest type 1 diabetes (T1D) event in the world. Join thousands of people as they raise funds to create a world without T1D. To learn more, find a walk near you or to register your team, please visit walk.jdrf.org.
- Fundraiser using Team JDRF: Team JDRF is a way that anyone and everyone can partake in the fight against T1D through grassroots fundraising. Create your own custom event, with online registration and fundraising capabilities. To learn more, visit team.jdrf.org or connect with your local JDRF chapter.
- Any event to support JDRF: Delt Chapters across the country have come up with many creative ways to support T1D research. Reach out to your local JDRF chapter to start planning an event today.